Sep 18, 2023
KfW 442 - Solar Power for Electric Cars: New E-Mobility Funding Program in Germany
Are you considering the installation of an electric vehicle charging station at your home in the near future? We are delighted to tell you about the latest funding offer from the German development bank KfW, specifically designed for private individuals.
What is Covered by the Funding KfW 442 (Solar Power for Electric Cars)?
The funding program is meant to encourage the purchase and installation of charging stations for electric cars in conjunction with photovoltaic (PV) systems and solar energy storage solutions. Funding is provided for a complete system consisting of the 3 components mentioned. The subsidy of only one or two components is not possible.
Eligible funding components:
- Purchase of a new charging station. You can receive funding for a brand-new charging station with a minimum charging power of 11 kilowatts (kW).
- Purchase of a new photovoltaic system. Funding is available for a new photovoltaic system with a peak output of at least 5 kilowatts peak (kWp).
- Purchase of a new solar power storage system. You can also receive funding for a new solar power storage system with a minimum storage capacity of 5 kilowatt-hours (kWh).
- Installation and connection. The entire system's installation, including all necessary work, is covered.
- Energy management system. Funding can be obtained for an energy management system to efficiently control the entire setup.
Requirements for Funding
To qualify for funding, you must meet the following criteria:
You must purchase the charging station, photovoltaic system, and solar electricity storage system as new items. The charging station must be on the list of eligible charging stations.
- At the time of application, you should not have already ordered any of these components.
- You must own a pure battery electric vehicle (BEV) (not a hybrid vehicle with an internal combustion engine such as a plug-in hybrid) registered in your name or in the name of someone residing in your household. Alternatively, you should have placed an order for an electric car at the time of application for the funding programme. For private leasing, the period must be at least 12 months. Company cars are excluded.
- Your private residential building must already exist, and you must already be residing in it. The subsidy cannot be applied for owner-occupied flats, new buildings before moving in, rented houses or holiday homes.
- The installation must be carried out by a professionally qualified company.
To make sure you are eligible for funding, you can also use the pre-check consisting of 7 yes-no questions at the KfW website.
How Much Funding Can I Get?
The grant consists of the following partial amounts:
- Charging Station: €600 flat rate or €1,200 flat rate if it has bidirectional charging capability.
- Photovoltaic System: €600 per kWp, with a maximum grant of €6,000.
- Solar Power Storage: €250 per kWh, with a maximum grant of €3,000.
- If the total project costs are less than the total amount of the grant, you will not receive any funding.
- The maximum grant amount you can receive for your project is €9.600 / €10,200.
- According to KfW, all components can also be purchased from different suppliers. So they do not all have to be supplied from a single source.
Are the go-e Chargers be Funded within the KfW 442 Programme?
Eligible are the stationary go-e Charger Gemini, including both the 11 kW and the 22 kW version. These are on the list of eligible wallboxes. Our energy management system go-e Controller is also listed as eligible. Mobile charging stations/wallboxes such as our go-e Charger Gemini flex are not eligible for funding under the KfW 442 programme in Germany.
Thanks to the open and standardised interfaces, you can integrate the go-e Charger into a photovoltaic system, provided that the PV system also has the corresponding interface and can be connected via an energy management system. go-e Chargers are already integrated into many EMS. For some systems, however, programming knowledge is required. In addition, photovoltaic integration without programming knowledge is also possible via the go-e Controller. If you are looking for a way to have the entire eligible system professionally installed, ask your trusted photovoltaic installer for their quote or contact a go-e partner near you directly.
How Do I Apply?
Here's a step-by-step guide to the application process:
Step 1. Apply for a Grant: Before ordering your charging station, photovoltaic system, and solar power storage, or entering into delivery and service contracts, submit your application through the "Meine KfW" customer portal. This portal will be accessible to you for the KfW 442 programme starting from September 26th, 2023.
Step 2. Implement project: Once you've received approval for the subsidy, proceed to order the charging station, photovoltaic system, and solar power storage system, and initiate the installation. Complete installation.
Step 3. From March 2024: Provide evidence and receive subsidy. Following the verification of your details, the subsidy will be disbursed directly to your account.
With the KfW 442 funding (solar power for electric cars), you can receive a grant of up to 9.600 euros for the purchase and connection of the go-e Charger Gemini, a photovoltaic system and a solar power storage system provided you are an owner of a private residential building and you own or have ordered an electric car. For another charging station with bidirectional charging capability, you would receive an extra 600 euros. In any case, you should make a comprehensive comparison of all functions with our comparison winner go-e Charger Gemini before making your purchase decision.
With the KfW subsidy, you can save more than 80 percent on the purchase of a stationary go-e wallbox compared to the recommended retail price. On top of that, if you follow the requirements, you will make a positive impact on the environment while enhancing your own energy independence.
Quite a great deal, isn’t it?
We will inform you about further details on funding as soon as they are known.
Meanwhile, we have collected all the most important links for you here:
go-e newsletter subscription
Stay informed about go-e and the latest developments and innovative solutions in e-mobility and charging technology.